02 January 2014

Flying Geese Baby Quilt

New year, new quilt!  Wishing everyone a wonderful year to come!


This little guy measures up at 35 x 58 inches, with 8 x 18 flying geese units!  I like the second method here, which makes four units at a time with truly minimal waste.



I usually gravitate towards girly motifs (if not colors...) and this time I intentionally picked a variety of bright fabrics from my stash that were truly gender-neutral, focusing on red, gold, blue, and turquoise, with some green here and there.

Instead of using white or another solid for a background, I played around with some low-volume prints, which was very fun.  My favorite is a print from Lecien's Red and Blue Work Collection, which features letters and this very charming cat!


This quilt is backed in a print from Perfectly Perched, which I've been saving away for a while now. I love animal prints like these that are cute, but not cutesy.

 Kona Tomato provides a bright and strong contrast for binding.


Simple quilting lines along the vertical seams will keep this one pretty soft, especially since there are so many seams with the flying geese.


I really love quilts like these with an "all over" texture created by simple geometry, too. Sad to see this one go, but very happy for its new little owner!

Pin It!

10 comments:

  1. I was just going to put 'such a happy quilt' and see I was beaten to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am such a sucker for flying geese, and this is a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun. Perfect binding too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love it all - the fabrics on the top, the backing choice and the binding. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty and bright, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the colors and I like your choice for quilting! I agree that flying geese can get a little bulky and this is a great solution!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!