18 April 2014

Improv Neutrals Baby Quilt

This quilt is one of my very favorites!  Inspired by a long-time flickr favorite of mine, I used a mix of neutrals with bright centers in improvised log cabin blocks.

I also added one thin charcoal bar to each block and tried to rotate the blocks as I decided what should go where.

I've had the blocks for quite some time, and intended to make a much larger quilt with it, but I was in a "use it or lose it" kind of mood and decided to stitch them up.  In no time, I had a baby quilt top that measures about 36" x 48".

It is quilted with varying widths of straight horizontal lines, bound with a Joel Dewberry True Colors herringbone in turquoise, and backed with a simple gray solid.  It seems like I've been waiting YEARS to bind something with one of these prints, and I just love how it turned out.

Pin It!


  1. Really pretty! I would love to do more improv stuff, but living in Europe, I pay so much for shipping and then VAT on the fabric I buy, I'm afraid to mess it up and end up wasting it! Good for you for taking it off the wip pile!

  2. I think I 'faved' this from Flickr. Love your version too. Beautiful

  3. this is so pretty. I made something similar for the Pantone Quilt Challenge. I just love the improvisation and the neutrals.

  4. I like it! It's so modern! :)

  5. Love! Your use of the coloured centres and the grey is fabulous!


Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!