Earlier this fall, I dove into my linen scraps that my friend Lynn at South Street Linen gave me to play around with. I've used some of her fetching hand-printed linen before, but this time I decided to use exclusively linen for the quilt top instead of mixing it with quilting cotton.
The result: a collection of unique rectangular blocks splayed out and sashed up with classically linen-colored linen. Sometimes sashing a spontaneously-layed-out quilt can be a challenge, and I try to think of each block AND its sashing as a unit to make everything fit together.
Although my diagram isn't perfectly square because of my photo angle, it hopefully helps clear up how I consider each block + sashing as a new unit.
Although I started with squared up pieces of fabric, linen is *so* slippery, so each block has a bit of a wonky, improvised feeling up close.
To match this slightly wonky feeling, I used sets of three intersecting organic straight lines for quilting.
The backing is mostly blue-gray with a pieced strip of some favorite AMH scraps.
The binding is a dark charcoal for a subtle contrast.
After washing, the linen makes for a delightfully squishy and substantial quilt!