29 March 2013

Simple Squared Pillow

Somtimes, I need to do simple, straightforward, rewarding sewing.

No futzing.

No stretching.

No "just make it work."

No slaving away.

Just square edges and inspiring fabrics.


 This pillow is a product of that impulse!




I started with the square in the middle, and built it out with a rough plan from there. So, although my goal was to keep it simple, there was still a slightly improvisational process I followed, as usual.

The front is lined with a layer of batting (how else to use up the scraps from quilts?) and I stitched some simple, straight quilting lines along seams and edges.


I backed it in gray upholstery-weight cotton with an envelope closure, and bound all the edges in a (mostly) green floral print.  It's fun to use a large-scale print for binding, since you get some lovely surprises in terms of what actually shows up on your finished product.


I also included a tiny bit of the gray heavy fabric on the front of the pillow, both to get it to the size I wanted, as well as to add a little bit of intricate visual interest.


An added bonus of that small gray strip is a bit more structure, which helps make the pillow stand up and look so pleasingly puffy!



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Love your pillow - the centre is just right for a larger scale pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a perfect little pillow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely! I love the binding choice...so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it ~ nice and simple, yet, oh so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute. Love the big floral print!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, nice to see you! Sorry about the word verification but I've been flooded with spam messages recently. Thanks for commenting!